What Do I Need to Do to Become a Peer Mentor?
- Contact your ESRD Network and ask to speak with the Peer Mentoring Program Champion. Click here to find your ESRD Network.
- Complete and pass the quizzes in courses 1–3 of the Mentoring Basics courses.
- The Kidney Learning Hub will email you your Mentoring Basics Certificate. Share your certificate(s) of completion with your ESRD Network Peer Mentor Champion.
- Be paired with a mentee by the ESRD Network Peer Mentor Champion and begin mentoring.
What Will I Learn in the Courses?
The courses provide information and resources that you can share with your peer.
- Learn about how to talk with peers from different cultural backgrounds.
- Improve your communication and leadership skills.
- Enhance your knowledge about kidney disease treatment choices.
How Do I Start the Peer Mentoring Education Program?
Follow these steps:
- Start with Course #1.
- Once you have read and understand the material in this course, take the quiz.
- Take and complete Courses 1-3 of the Mentoring Basics courses to be emailed your certificate. You can also take any or all topic courses (Courses 4–6) that interest you to earn more certificates.
- Share your certificate(s) with your ESRD Network Peer Mentor Champion.
1. Welcome to Peer Mentoring!
Being a peer mentor is an important role. This course will tell you what you need to know to be a peer mentor.
2. Mentoring to Support Choices
In this course you will learn how to support your peer as he or she makes important decisions about treatment choices.
3. End Stage Renal Disease Overview
Understanding kidney disease can help empower patients to advocate for themselves. This course will build your knowledge about kidney disease.
4. Discussing Home Dialysis as an Option
This course will prepare you to talk with your peers about home dialysis as a treatment choice.
5. Discussing Transplant as an Option
This course will prepare you to talk with your peers about kidney transplant as a treatment choice.
6. New to Dialysis
In this course, you will learn about what to expect from your dialysis treatment and how to be an active member of your care team.